Tuesday, March 3, 2009

God's 12 Promises Part 1 of 3

GOD’S 12 PROMISES Part 1 of 3
Hebrews 13:5
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Genesis 15:1
Do not be afraid Abram, I am your shield, your very great reward.”

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”


The summer before Jeremy entered sixth grade, he tried out for midget league football—just like last year. Would his coach remember that he’d promised Jeremy a starting position this year after healing from his broken ankle?

“Glad to see you coming out for the team again” Coach Jiles greeted him with a smile and a handshake.

“Thanks, Coach” Jeremy said, grinning proudly. “I worked hard at strength training and body building.”

“Did you do much running?”
“Not too much, Coach. But I am a lot stronger this year”
“Well, very good, Jeremy. Fall into the ranks now and we’ll see how much you’ve improved.”

During calisthenics Jeremy noticed how much stronger he was, working out next to his good friend, Brad. “It feels so good being back on the field again, doesn’t it?” Jeremy yelled, his entire face a grin.

“It sure does.” Brad answered, nodding. “See Scotty over there?” Brad pointed.

“Yep. Have you spoken to him since our argument last year?”

“Nope. I’m surprised to see him trying out again.”

“I hope he’s changed. Those steroids that he pushed last year didn’t help him much.” Jeremy shrugged his shoulders.

“I hope he’s got a different attitude now” Brad replied.

Take Home Nugget

Jeremy was annoyed that he hadn’t gotten special treatment at practice. After all, he was promised a starting position if he’d return this year. Michael, his big brother, reminded him, “Coach has to treat everyone the same, or he’d be blamed for favoritism. Remember what you learned about God’s promises last year?”

Dad agreed, “Your brother’s right, Jeremy. Think back to when you broke your ankle. Didn’t God lead you through every trial then?”

Jeremy gulped. He had to admit, “You’re right…God prepared me for starting this new season. He was always by my side, even when I got hurt. He protected me when guys ridiculed me. Weight lifting and God strengthened me for this season.” Joy swelled in his heart, and he knew all things would work out for his good. (Romans 8:28).

Remember God’s faithfulness during times of trouble. He never leaves your side unprotected, and helpless.
Dedicated to Caroline Rossman, a source of inspiration.

J.D. Griffith

Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for God's 12 Promises, Part 1 of 3
A personal, private lesson experience with our staff

No comments: