Monday, February 25, 2008

Plan For Victory--Dependence Upon God Part 12/12


PLAN FOR VICTORY
Part 12/12 Dependence Upon God
1 Samuel 17:47, Psalm 31:2
Psalm 32:8: “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.”

Hear these words that David spoke to Goliath: “This day the Lord will deliver you up into my hands.” (1Samuel 17:46). Now that’s confidence! Do you wonder if Goliath hesitated before making a move towards David after hearing those words? Can you hear David shouting them? This showdown between the giant and shepherd boy captivated both armies. The Israeli and Philistine armies were fascinated. Talk about front row seats!

Great victories are often made up of little accomplishments. David’s heart was set on exalting and honoring God with his life. When this is our motive, our decisions and actions will not only accomplish our personal goals but will also achieve great things for the kingdom of God.

WOW!
What bold goals has God planted into your heart? Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., had one audacious goal—that of racial reconciliation among the Whites and Blacks in America. His words opened doors, eyes, and hearts. (Our nation continues healing today, after our Civil War in the 1860’s.) We haven’t arrived at perfection yet, even after having elected our first African-American President, in 2008.

Even Dr. Martin Luther King, a great preacher and auditor, felt stymied. He prayed, “I am here taking a stand for what I believe is right. But, Lord, I confess that I am weak now. I am faltering. I am losing my courage, and am afraid…I am at the end of my powers…I cannot do this alone.”

At that moment, Dr. King was awash in the presence of the Divine. As never before, he felt God’s strength and power. He heard an inner voice saying, “Stand up for righteous, stand up for truth; and God will be at your side forever.” At once Dr. King’s fears left, his uncertainty disappeared, and he was ready to face anything.
We can expect to face opposition when we’re trying to do what’s right. We too, must cry out to the Lord. He alone, is our rock of refuge, a fortress of defense. He is our source of strength and protection—only a prayer away. Hallelujah!

Take Home Nugget

Memory work enables us to speak God’s Word to Him and fills us with confidence during trouble. Here’s one that works for me when I’m weak and unstable. Maybe it’ll work to get your feet back onto solid ground.

J. D. Griffith

No comments: