Friday, December 4, 2015

Prayer Help

PRAYER HELP

Second of six devotions in Let’s Talk series

Romans 8:26-27:  “In the same way, [groaning as we wait for redemption] the [Holy] Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.  And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes with the saints according to God’s will.”


            Okay.  Today I set apart private time for praying to my heavenly Father.  Eager to draw closer to my Creator, I kneel down beside my bed. This is exactly what I’ve been asking for.   “Uh,” was all that came out of my mouth.  My mind went blank.
            That’s why this series began with P.R.A.Y. devotion.  The acronym is easy to begin to pray AND pray appropriately.  Praise.  Repent.  Ask.  Yield.  Even I can think of words to say that lead me to my point for this specific prayer.  All bases covered. 
            (Maybe Jesus won’t have to completely rephrase our prayers with His intercessory prayer if we follow the model?)

            There are times when we’re sick, and just ask for healing before drifting off to sleep.  Other times, we’re overwhelmed by life circumstances, and can’t find a place to start praying that would make any sense.  People are quick to advise, “Don’t force prayer.  It’ll come when you “feel” like praying.” 
            We’re wise not to trust that advice.

            The Holy Spirit tugs at my heart, “Give setting-aside-prayer-time a try.  I promise to show up.”
            And sure enough, He did!

            Believers know that every need—down to the smallest detail---is our Father’s concern.  Ever so grateful, we’re humbled to remember the needs of others—also down to the last detail.  Selfless prayer isn’t natural to people, but where God’s Spirit leads, we can follow.  God’s indwelling Spirit actively transforms Believers day by day into Christlikeness.
            Our heavenly Father urges every one of His kids to copy-cat our big Brother Jesus.  And Jesus is proud of every one of us who strives to achieve His standard of excellence of living by His Spirit.
           
           
Take Home Nugget

            Even living by God’s indwelling Spirit isn’t natural for humans.  Cooperating with the Spirit challenges proud, self-sufficient people to turn over ourselves to His authority.  Then we submit to His leadership.  We yield to His holiness and glory.
            Handing our future into His hands teaches us trust.  Then, SURPRISE! We no longer stress over stuff.  We’re at peace.  Truly happy.

Yielding is hard for me.
Help me to surrender to You.
Freedom from worry is what I see,
With extra benefits of joy and peace added too!
           
This devotion is adapted from “Our Help in Prayer” from In Touch Magazine.  September 7, 2015.  Georgia.     
J.D. Griffith




                   Written for http://www.Biblestudyforkids.com

Brand new for Christmas:

Click here to purchase Your Salvation is Jesus' Passion  just $2.99

No comments: