Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Finished Statement

FINISHED STATEMENT

John 1:14:  “‘And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”


             Ellipses … allow statements to finish many different ways.  The Father began the statement, “I AM Who I AM” in Exodus 3:14-15.  I Am, “The Lord, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.”  Moses was told to say that to explain why he was chosen to lead the Israelites out of Egypt.
            Apostle John records Jesus’ finishing the Father’s ellipses I am statement many ways.

            At the Passover Feast in John 13, Jesus washed the disciples’ feet.  He said, “You call Me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, and your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you should wash one another’s feet.”
            “I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6).  John 14:20 says, “On that day [Jesus’ ascension], you will realize that I am in the Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.” 

            John 15 teaches productivity in verses 1-2, then 4-6 contrasts that to non-productive people:  “I am the vine, and My Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, while very branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that is will be even more fruitful.”
            “I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me, you can do nothing.  If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.”
             
            John 6:35 teaches sustenance.  “I am the bread of Life.  He who comes to Me will never go hungry, and he who believes in Me will never be thirsty.  But many scoffed when He said, “For I have come down from heaven not to do My will but to do the will of Him who sent me.” (Verse 38).
            Verse 51 got weird, and many left Jesus on the spot.  (Believers understand this to be Holy Communion truth): “I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.  This bread is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
           
Take Home Nugget

            So…Are you a Jacob, who operates on human strength…or are you a John, who rests in Jesus’ finished I AM statements?

Holy Father, make me a John!

This devotion is adapted from The Great I AM from 2015 Advent Devotions. Lutheran Indian Ministries. Wilson (Cowlitz).  December 11, 2015. Wisconsin. 
       
J.D. Griffith




                   Written for http://www.Biblestudyforkids.com  

Brand new for Christmas: 
  Click here to purchase a copy of Your Salvation is Jesus' Passion   eBook only $2.99

No comments: