Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Testing Ground


TESTING GROUND

Genesis 2:15-17

“The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.  And the Lord God commanded the man, ‘You are free to eat of any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.’” 

           

            Planet earth is testing ground for humans.  When children may not touch certain things, what do they usually do?  Why do humans want what they can’t have?  In the Garden of Eden, God pointed out only one tree from which Adam may not eat.  God allows people to choose how to respond to commands.

            Eve never wanted the fruit from the forbidden tree…until Satan lied, “you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” (Genesis 3:5b).

            That was not the first sin.  Do you want to know what really happened?   Isaiah 14 is about the king of Tyre (Ezekiel 28).  He was the king of Babylon, and a contemporary of Jesus.  But the story fits Satan.  Proud.  Arrogant.  Thinking that “he’s all that!” 

            “How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn!  You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!  You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the munt of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.’

            “‘I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’   But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.” (Isaiah 14:12-14).   The Hebrew word for morning star is Lucifer, literally “light bearer.”  Proud Satan brought sin to earth when, like Jesus told His disciples in Luke 10:18, “I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven.”

            God does not share His glory.  “For My own sake I do this.  How can I let Myself be defamed?  I will not yield My glory to another.” (Isaiah 48:11).  People are born into sin.  Only by becoming new creations when we choose to believe in Jesus Christ as Savior can we attain righteousness through Him (2 Corinthians 5:17, 21).

            See God addressing the king of Tyre, the devil’s sin and end in the lesson linked below. 

Take Home Nugget 

            Because the Lord wants people to love Him—instead of being programmed robots—He gives people choice.  Even when you sin, God will turn it out for good (Romans 8:28).  What’s your grade on earth’s testing ground?                   

Thank You, Holy Father, for giving me the right to choose.  I choose to love and obey You!

J.D. Griffith

 





No comments: