Friday, July 4, 2014

Jesus Disciples You


JESUS DISCIPLES YOU

JOHN 10

John 10:27:  “My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.”

 

 

             I am offended at criticism when doing something new.  If I knew how to do it, I would not be doing it wrong!  “Show me!  Lead me!” I want to scream.

            Jesus understands.  Jesus leads.  Jesus says, “Come, follow Me.” (Matthew 4:19 and 21).  Believers of Christ—whether or not we admit the fact—are His disciples.  Disciple means follower, believer, supporter or student.  John, chapter ten, shows how lovingly Jesus leads His followers.

            The image of shepherd and sheep are perfect metaphors [MET-a-fors] for Jesus and His followers.  Metaphor is a figure of speech.  These words represent or are symbols for the real thing.  Jesus as shepherd stands for Jesus the Savior.  Followers of Jesus, believers, as sheep stand for precious and dearly-loved people

            It’s okay to be called a sheep.  After all, Jesus is called the “Lamb of God” (John 1:29).  Jesus was born so that He could die.  (For us).  He was the perfect sacrifice so that believers’ sins could be forgiven.  Jesus’ death wins believers adoption into God’s family and eternal life in heaven. 

            Jesus calls you to come and follow Him as His disciple.  “The sheep listen to His voice.  He calls his own sheep by name and He leads them out.  When He has called out His own, He goes ahead of them, and His sheep follow Him because they know His voice.”  (John 10:3-4).  Great!  Jesus shows me how to follow Him.

            “I am the gate; whoever enters through Me will be saved.  He will come in and go out, and find pasture.   The thief comes in only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”  (John 10:9-10).  His disciples find pasture (rest).  He gives us life to the full (lacking nothing). 

 

            The thief Jesus refers to can be anything that steals you away from Him.  The prince of this world is the devil (John 12:31).  He uses all his power to tempt you away from following Jesus.  He wants to steal your heart.  He wants your death, your destruction.  But whoever loves Jesus will “run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.”  (John 10:5b).    

Take Home Nugget 

            “I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep…
I know My sheep and My sheep know Me.” 
(John 10:11, 14).  Jesus died for you.  He calls you by name.  You know Jesus. 

Will you follow Jesus?  

I want what Jesus offers

And I will follow Him.

The devil has lots in his coffers,

But his winning me is slim!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, AMERICA!

J.D. Griffith

 




No comments: