Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rationalization

RATIONALIZATION
1Samuel 15
V. 22: “But Samuel replied: ‘Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord’”

Jesse’s grin was ear-to-ear as he biked to the pool. “Hey Wally!” he cried out, locking his bike to the rack. “Have you seen Cassie yet?”

Wally shook his head. Looking around, he said, “I just got here, but I’ve seen her here most every day.”

Jesse ran into the entrance, and searched the pool grounds. Finding Missy, Cassie’s friend, he asked, “Is Cassie coming today?”

“Oh, it’s you, Jesse. What do you want with her? We had a great time swimming in peace while you were suspended from coming.”

“Well, my restriction is lifted today.”

“Great.”

“Um…I need to talk to Cassie.”

“Oh sure…you just want to talk?”

Jesse sighed, looking at the ground. “I deserve that” he mumbled. “Yeah, really, Missy, I need to apologize for what I did.” He looked into Missy’s eyes, his brow wrinkling. “It’s important that she know how sorry I am for my behavior.”

Missy squinted into Jesse’s eyes. He really looks like his apology is genuine, she thought. “OK, Jess. She told me that she’s babysitting today, but should be back tomorrow.”

“Oh.” Jesse said, his heart sinking. “I’m supposed to apologize to her today, before I go swimming.” (See devotion 190, Belief Stand).

“I’ll tell her, Jess. You look sincere to me. I forgive your—immaturity.” Missy said.

“Thanks, Missy!” His mind free, Jesse dove into the pool. I tried to apologize to Cassie he thought. Missy accepts my apology, and says that she’ll tell Cassie. That’s all I can do until tomorrow. I may as well swim; the water feels so good after the blistering heat I suffered through these last three weeks. I earned this swim! “Ahhhh! This is heaven!” Jesse said aloud.

Do you agree that Jesse obeyed his Dad’s command? Does Missy’s forgiving Jesse get him off the hook for needing to apologize to Cassie? Does partial obedience justify a decision to ignore the rest of a direct order? Do you think that Jesse acted logically?

When you get a chance, I urge you to read the entire chapter 15 in 1Samuel. Saul’s partial obedience didn’t change God’s mind. And Saul’s excuses failed to win Samuel over, too. Saul rebelled against God’s command, plain and simple.
Do you agree?

Take Home Nugget

Having good reasons that rationalize our wrong choices don’t change God’s mind. Bargaining with God won’t help, either. Is any sin worth being outside of His will? Our Father delights in faithful followers.

Rationalization and justification are words that argue insubordination.

J.D. Griffith
Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for Rationalization
A personal, private lesson experience with our staff

No comments: