Friday, November 3, 2017

Profit-Loss

PROFIT-LOSS 
  
Philippians 3:7-8:  “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my LORD, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.”
“I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God’s hands, that I still possess.”—Martin Luther

            The angel Michael won the war against the devil and his angels and Martin Luther’s 95 Theses reformed the church in the last devotion.  Today, we’re learning truths from a different dynamic duel of St. Paul and Martin Luther.  Instead of thanking Martin for nailing the 95 Theses to the church door that reformed Christian background on forgiveness of sin today, we’re learning that losing everything that is not Christ realigns our priorities.
            The people who lost everything after hurricane Maria found what is important.  Puerto Rico is a U.S. island off the coast of Florida.  She slammed high winds and torrential rain on the island that plummeted all power lines to the ground.
            The island was without power for two months awaiting the grid’s rebuilding.  In the meantime, people were sickened by drinking runoff stream water.  Where were the residents sheltered?  Was anyone working and how were they paid?
            Sigh.
            The thing is, Believers-in-Christ keep Him first in life’s priority. 
            Christ is our rock.  We build upon the rock of Christ.  When “the rain came down, the streams rose, and winds blew and beat against the house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundations on the rock,” many clung to Christ.  Jesus taught rock foundation in Matthew 7:25.
            But people in Puerto Rico lost everything.
            Yet, Believers in Puerto Rico never lost faith.  Trusting Christ is EVERYTHING!  The things that were lost was stuff.  Stuff can be replaced.  Few people died in the hurricane.  As the extended disaster claimed more lives, the island began ragged breathing.  Power restored resources needed to handle the loss. 
            Faith is what St. Paul was teaching the Philippians in the opening Scripture.  (See the lesson linked below that shows Paul’s credentials that he instantly abandoned to grab ahold of Christ).  That is the faith that insisted Martin Luther place everything in Christ’s hands.   
Take Home Nugget 
            Heroes we learn about in the Bible’s Old Testament are called saints.  The dynamic duel we learn about today are called saints.  The Believer reading this devotion is called a saint. 
November 1st celebrated ALL SAINTS DAY!
Teach me, Holy Father, to see myself as Your beloved child in Christ!  Empower me to realign my priorities as Your saint while living on earth.  Amen. 
 Adapted from “I have nothing; I have everything” by Pastor Mark Jeske.  www.TimeOfGrace.org.  September 24, 2017.
J.D. Griffith


 For a personal, private lesson experience with our staff
  


Latest Christmas book by J.D. Griffith:
  To order “Meet Guardian Archangels” click here

Here’s another eBook by J.D. Griffith:   
  




No comments: