Tuesday, February 5, 2013

WHY LOVE GOD?

Part 1 of 3 in Loving God Series

Psalm 139:9-16

“For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.”

“How weird that we can throw softball to each other in February!” nine year old Bobby said to his fourth grade classmates at recess. “We’ll be ready for softball next month!”

Jules caught Bobby’s throw, and said, “This has been the warmest winter I can remember,” tossing the ball to Greg.

Greg caught the ball. “You can throw harder than that, Jules! But it’s good to start somewhere,” he said. “God is so good that He’s letting us start spring training in February!” He threw the ball to Bobby, saying, “Don’t you love God so much, that it’s sometimes scary?”

Bobby caught Greg’s throw, and said, “I know tons of kids who don’t even know Him! Why do you love God?”

Good question, Bobby. The opening Scripture shows God tenderly creating people, one reason why we love Him. Jesus’ coming to earth showed us the invisible Father (John 14:7, 10). Jesus willingly died in our place, taking our sins to the cross. Whoever accepts Jesus’ gift of forgiveness—and welcomes Him as Lord—becomes God’s child.

It’s sometimes scary to think that God sacrificed His only Son so that we could be His beloved children...called, predestined, justified, and glorified (Romans 8:30!

God keeps every promise He makes (See Promises of God devotional series, ten devotions before this one). He will never fail, nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:8). He promises to supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19). He forgives every confessed sin, and purifies us from all unrighteous (1 John 1:9). God gives His kids the Holy Spirit (John 14:26).

John 14:1-2 says that Jesus is preparing a place for us in heaven. Philippians 3:21 assures us that we’ll be raised with glorified bodies.

What’s not to love about God?

Take Home Nugget

Greg answered Bobby, “I probably love God because He first loved me (1 John 4:19). Or maybe because He makes all things work for my good (Romans 28:8). Or maybe because we can play outside in winter on this beautiful planet!”
Check out the lesson link to see gifts from the Holy Spirit.

Appreciating the beauty of God’s creation
Fills us with love for its powerful creator.

JD Griffith

Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for Why Love God?

A personal, private lesson experience with our staff

Written for www.Biblestudyforkids.com

For FREE Online Bible Study Resources click here.

No comments: