Tuesday, September 21, 2010

John's Discovery

JOHN’S DISCOVERY
Revelation 1:9-20
Vv. 1-2: “The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

If you think of Jesus as a baby in the manger, the guy who washed disciples’ feet at the last supper, or even as the man crucified on the cross, keep in mind His ascension. Then imagine John’s discovery below:

Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the end is near” Jesus declares. “I am the Alpha and Omega, Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, the Almighty.”
“Hi. I’m John, your brother and fellow sojourner (so-JURN-er, meaning traveling companion) suffering in this world with patient endurance—that we claim in Jesus. I was a prisoner on the island Patmos because I dared preach the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. Somehow, I was caught up in the Spirit to the highest heaven. The first thing I heard was a loud voice, like a trumpet commanding me to write down everything I see and send it to the seven churches.








“The churches of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea are the targets for letters of caution, warning, and criticism. I faced seven lamp stands, and the Son of Man dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet. A golden sash draped his chest. His head and hair were like white-as-snow wool. His eyes were blazing fire.

“His feet were like bronze glowing bright red-brown, as though searing in a furnace. His voice sounded like rushing waters. He held seven stars in His right hand. Out of His mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face shone more brilliantly than the sun.

“That’s when I fainted.”

Take Home Nugget

The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lamp stands stand for seven angels and the afore-named seven churches.”

Even I can figure out why Jesus summoned John, the disciple He loved, to see and record first-hand His revelation glory. John saw Jesus every day, walked with Him, witnessing miracles, heard His scolding others. John, alongside Jesus’ Mother Mary, wept at Jesus’ feet when He was dying on the cross. If I couldn’t believe John’s account of Jesus’ revelation, I wouldn’t believe anyone’s! This is John’s discovery to us of King Jesus.
Scary things are the most profound. It’s really scary is what happens to those who don’t believe.

J.D. Griffith

No comments: