Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Our Years In His Hands

OUR YEARS IN HIS HANDS
Psalm 31
Vv. 14-15: “‘You are my God.’ My times are in Your hands.”

“Why did Jesus send me back, Mommy?” Emily asked her Mom. “I wanted to stay with Him.” (See Wholeness devotion).

“Jesus sent you back to me, your Daddy, and Marshall!” Emily’s Mom said, hugging her tightly. “I couldn’t bear it if you hadn’t come back to me, Em!”

“But, why?” Emily insisted.

Emily’s Mom sighed. “I suppose we may never know why God does anything. Our faith enables us to trust that He knows best. We believe that ‘God makes everything work together for good, for those who love Him, and are called according to His purpose.’” (Romans 8:28).

“Huh?”

“There are lots of things we don’t understand” Emily’s Mom said, holding her close in the rocking chair. “What makes me burst with happiness is knowing how much you love Jesus. So that takes care of the first condition.”

“What?”

“God makes all things work together for good for whoever loves him. You do love God, so He’ll make everything work out for good for you, Em.”

“But I saw Jesus, Mom!”

“Jesus is God, Em. He’s God’s Son, remember?”

“Yeah, right.” Emily nodded her head. “So Jesus is God, too.”

“Yes. We worship a triune God, Em. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, remember? One God, three persons. Did you learn this in Sunday School?”

“Mostly we color in Sunday School, and sing songs…But I remember coloring one picture with three people. That’s right!” Emily smiled, clapping her hands. “I colored the Father the color of grass.”

“That is green.”

“Jesus, the color of my favorite dress.”

“Purple.”

“Purcle. And the Holy Pirit the color of the sun—my favorite color!”

“Yellow. You’re my sunshine, Em!”

“But why did I have to come back?”

“I suppose to satisfy the rest of Scripture, Em. God has called you for a purpose.”

“What’s that mean?”

“God’s got a specific reason for your life, Em.”

“What is it, Mom?”

“We’ll just have to see as you grow up, Emily. Maybe you’ll be a talented dancer, or gifted at healing sick people. But whatever you grow up to be, know that God’s in control of your life—for who knows how many years.”

“I want to be a teacher” Emily said.

“Then” her Mom advised, “be the best teacher you can possible be! But whatever you do, always give your best, doing everything with love. God made you for a specific reason. The trick is learning what that reason is.”

Take Home Nugget


Do you know and trust that God’s in control of your living years?

Sovereign Lord of heaven and earth,
All my years are in Your hand.
Forever gracious, always wise,
Everything’s at Your command.

J.D. Griffith

No comments: