Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Illusion

ILLUSION
2Corinthians 12:9
My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.”

“Watch me walk looking ahead, eyes up instead of focusing on the ground” Mira bragged. “My balance is back, too!” She twirled around in a circle, laughing—proving her point. There was no hint of her falling down. “You’d never believe that I was in a wheel chair last week, would you? No one would guess that I’ve got Multiple Sclerosis.”
“Are you ready to return to school?” Mira’s Mom asked her brave thirteen-year-old daughter. Mira’s gleaming green eyes sparkled, her long brown braids dancing in her happy jig.

Nurse Hatfield, Mira’s school nurse smiled her approval, “Dr. Dorsey said how pleased he is that the steroids worked in returning your health. He also released you to return to school when you’re ready. Are you ready, Mira?”

“Well, to tell you the truth” Mira’s words stumbled, her head down, revealing her inner conflict. “Uh,um, I’m not sure. I don’t trust myself.” She mumbled.
Pastor Jeanette Young patted the chair beside her. “Sit down, Mira. There’re truths that you should consider.”

“OK.” Mira sat down and looked into Pastor Jeanette’s eyes.

“I need to tell you things that the world would laugh off as just being plain stupid.
People work at appearing strong, but that’s just an illusion. They use the strength of their emotions to manipulate, the force of their personality to control, and their intellect to intimidate others. But these are signs of weakness, not strength.”

“When we’re truly strong, we admit our limitations, acknowledging dependence on God. So, while the world sees weakness, we know better. Our frail weakness proudly boasts our true strength—power through Christ.”

“What, I mean how’s that, Pastor?” Mira asked, intrigued.

“Remember when Jesus’ disciples jostled for positions of prominence? Jesus shut them up by saying, “Whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant.” (Matthew 20:26). Greatness comes when we assume positions of weakness.”

“This is a hard truth, Mira. But I know that you can embrace it and cling to Jesus’ strength. Trust Jesus’ words, and imitate Paul. Remember his words in 2Corinthians 2:10, ‘When I am weak, then I am strong.’ It’s Jesus’ strength, not Paul’s.”

“I get it, Pastor. I can return to school now, and trust Jesus’ strength to get me through each day” Mira smiled and nodded at her Mom and Nurse Hatfield.

Take Home Nugget

Do you prefer the illusion of strength to the reality of weakness? God wants you to realize that true strength comes from total dependence on Him.
We’re to live lives that give God the glory.
Living in Biblical light:
Weakness in Jesus’ strength becomes our story.
He alone controls power and might.

J.D. Griffith
Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for Illusion

A personal, private lesson experience with our staff

No comments: