Friday, June 10, 2016

Your Purpose

YOUR PURPOSE

1 Samuel 16:6-13

1 Samuel 16:12-13: “So he sent and had him brought in.  He was ruddy, with a fine appearance and handsome features.  Then the Lord said, ‘Rise and anoint him; he is the one.’  So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came upon David in power.”


            “What do you want to be when you grow up?  Please write down your thoughts and pass in your papers before leaving class.”  Twelve year olds Cassie and Jeremy heard their English teacher’s assignment. 

          Cassie looked at Jeremy.  He winked at her and began writing.  She smiled, thinking, everyone knows that Jeremy wants to be a professional football player. 

            Cassie considered how David was anointed king at a young age.  She began writing, “I want to be queen.  I want to rule a perfect world.  I want my subjects to all be good people.  I want no crime.  I want kids to be happy and play all day long.  With my husband, the king, I want to keep peace throughout the world!”

            Cassie set her paper on the teacher’s desk, hurrying to catch up with Jeremy going to History class.  “I know what you wrote.”

            “Haha.  My football secret is out.  What did you write, Cassie?”  Jeremy wondered.
            “A fantasy.  I want to be queen!” Cassie admitted, laughing. 

            What would you write?

            A wrong sense of direction never guides people to fulfillment.  God created every person in the world for a specific purpose: to serve Him.  Nobody finds inner peace until realizing this truth.

            Society proposes that pleasure, prosperity, position and popularity are worthwhile goals.  But self-service is never fulfilling.  No earthly reward fills that hole wanting fulfillment.  No worldly philosophy ever accomplished satisfaction, contentment. 

            Whatever we become in this life we’re in the process of becoming right now. 

            The opening Scripture shows David being anointed king as a young man.  He thought that he was going to be a shepherd all his life.  This new purpose changed everything.  David immediately followed God’s purpose. 

Take Home Nugget

            Check out the lesson linked below to discover some trials and tests David endured.  David grew into a great man before claiming his rightful place as king. 
            Discovering your God-ordained purpose for life satisfies that fulfillment hole.  Our Father’s purpose for our lives comes from His heart of love.  No one knows the wonder God has in store for us.  But one thing is for sure: we can trust Him completely.

I want to stop wondering, Lord.  I confess Jesus’ words to you: ‘Not my will, but Yours be done…in my life.’  Lead me to Your purpose for my life, in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Adapted from “What is Your True Purpose” by Dr. Charles Stanley.  April 18, 2016.  www.intouch.org

J.D. Griffith








                   Written for http://www.Biblestudyforkids.com  

Here’s another eBook by J.D. Griffith:  
  

No comments: