Friday, February 26, 2016

Measure of Love

MEASURE OF LOVE

Fifth of fourteen devotions in Gethsemane series

John 14:15-24 

John 14:15: “If you love Me, you will obey what I command.”

            This trip to Gethsemane isn’t easy.  We stretch to obey the urging of God’s indwelling Spirit.  But…since we’re still living in this fallen world…what’s the harm dancing around the edges of God’s will?

            “I won’t get addicted,” we promise God.

            Obeying Jesus’ commands is so important that He repeats Himself two more times.  Whenever God repeats Himself, it’s like mom yelling your entire name to get your attention.  
            Salvation is free for the believer-in-Christ.  God’s love is certain.  People’s reactions are unpredictable.  If you’re reading this, God accurately predicted your faith in His Son.
            John 15:19 says, “If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.  That is why the world hates you.”  People’s behavior after salvation is the wild card, certainly a measure of our love. 

            Sayings like, “Actions speak louder than words,” demand visual proof before promises are believed.  Jesus’ disciples understood “I love You, Lord!” required proof of action.  The lesson linked below shows what Jesus’ disciples heard, and lived by. 
            “Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me.  He who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I love him and will show Myself to him.”  (John 14:21).  That’s the first time Jesus repeated the opening Scripture.
 
            “Honest, Lord, I can stop doing this anytime I want!” we vow.

            Sort of Loving God isn’t good enough.   And He knows the difference!  He wants His kids “all in,”  or nothing at all.  That’s why stretching to answer God’s call to serve is sooo hard for people to agree to.  Total surrender sounds awful!
            Will I lose freedom to pursue my dreams?  No.  God knit you together in your mother’s womb to pursue your dreams.  But, what if God makes me do something I hate or am not good at? 

            Really?  Think how much God loves you.  How can a loving Father put His beloved child in an unsuitable fit?

Take Home Nugget

            “If anyone loves Me, he will obey my teaching.  My Father will love him, and We will make Our home with him.” (John 14:23).  Notice how Jesus sweetened His love and obey statement when repeating Himself the third time?  Jesus will show Himself to us.  The Father will make His home with us! 

            That convinced me to totally surrender myself to God.
            Total surrender is the measure of Believers’ love.  God will break every addiction you may have first surrendered to!
 I’m all in Lord!  

Adapted from “The Measure of Our Love.” Dr. Charles Stanley.  March 5, 2015. In Touch magazine. Georgia, USA.
J.D. Griffith




                   Written for http://www.Biblestudyforkids.com  

Most Recent eBook by J.D. Griffith:   

No comments: