Friday, May 22, 2015

Grace of Humility


GRACE OF HUMILITY

Second of seven devotions in World Stage Series
 

1 Timothy 1:12-13:  “I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that He considered me faithful, appointing me to His service.  Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.”


            Apostle Paul wants to share his story:  


            “Originally named Saul, I, Paul, am a Pharisee.  Read my impressive autobiography in Philippians 3:3-11.  Jesus blew me away when He said that He’s God’s Son!

            I approved Stephen’s stoning.  His death spurred me to try destroying every trace of the man we crucified—sending many men and women who believed in Jesus to prison.  Luke wrote about me in Acts 8-9.  But let me tell you what changed my life: 

             

            On my way to Damascus, an impossibly bright light flashed.  I fell down, hearing,   “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?”

            “‘Who are You, Lord?’ I asked.”

            “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.”

            Oh, NO!  My mind screamed, Jesus is alive!  Jesus commanded me to go into the city.  When I looked around, I was blind.  My companions had to LEAD me.  ME!  So embarrassed, I was no different from a blind beggar!  

            We found Ananias in Damascus.  He already knew about me.  Jesus commanded him to restore my sight, and he didn’t want to.  But he did, anyway.  Ananias told me that I would suffer as Jesus’ instrument when taking His Word into the world. 

            I began preaching ‘Jesus IS God’s Son, who suffered and died for forgiveness of sins’ in the synagogue.  There was power in my words like never before.  My fellow Jews were confused hearing me preach the exact opposite what I used to say, and planned to kill me.

            I felt unworthy of God’s love, ashamed of my previous actions. I admitted being ignorant when persecuting followers of Jesus.  I didn’t believe the truth until I met Jesus.  But, I repented immediately and turned 180 degrees in the opposite direction.  I discovered God’s Spirit within me that strengthens me to preach so boldly.”

            Paul shows how righteous love of self appears through the grace-of-humility lens on the world’s stage.  


Take Home Nugget

            Listed below are seven “Ds” that teach how to achieve the same grace of humility:


Die to Self-Refuse to put ourselves first.

Devoted-We’re to be share God’s truth as we serve others.

Delight-Rejoice when God blesses others.

Depend-Wholly depend on God in every circumstance.

Direct-Attitude adjustment of gratitude for Christ’s grace and goodness.

Distance-Ourselves from pride and all its enchantments, like wealth.

Determined-Obey God in every way, regardless of worldly consequences.


  Holy Lord, teach grace of humility like Paul shows, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!
J.D. Griffith

 


 

 


                   Written for http://www.Biblestudyforkids.com.

No comments: