Thursday, August 20, 2009

Watching Over Me

WATCHING OVER ME (Part 3 of 3)
Matthew 10:31
So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

Trevor’s chin trembled, his eyes closed. “What’s wrong, Trev…you’ve just been saved, man!” (See 196 devotion, Holy Thinking).

Hands covering his eyes, Trevor wept openly. Jesse sat on the floor in front of his friend, offering him tissues. Jesse’s Mom and Dad gave the boys privacy.

“I’m sorry, man.” Trevor’s voice broke. He tossed a tissue into the trash, and dabbed his eyes with a new one. “I’m really glad, but…now what? What’s going to happen to me, with my folks splitting?”

“I don’t know, Trev…but I am relieved that you’re in God’s family now, anyway. Jesus is bigger than your problems—that much I know. Ask Him to help you, answer your questions.”

Jesse’s Mom sat down. “Mind if I butt in, guys?”

Jesse looked at her, thankful. “Course not, Mom! Trev’s terrified.”

“I get that, Trevor” Jesse’s Mom began. “Who wouldn’t be in your situation? Let me tell you what Matthew 10 says. You are precious. God weeps when you’re sad. He doesn’t want His children to be unhappy, and promises to help. Jesus walks us through every trial, and in the end, we find victory beyond the sorrow.”

“Really?” Trevor sniffed.

“Jesus was sending out His twelve disciples into the world to teach His Word, heal sickness, and drive out evil spirits. They were scared out of their wits. Know what I mean?”

Trevor and Jesse, eyes wide, nodded together.

“First he told them to travel light, don’t go far, stay with regular people, not in Inns. And work for their host’s hospitality. He said in Matthew 10:16, ‘I am sending you out as sheep among wolves…therefore, be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.’”

The boys couldn’t take their eyes off her.

“Continuing in verse 29, ‘Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.’”

She added, “Even the hairs on your head are numbered…you are worth more than many sparrows” Matthew 10:30.

Take Home Nugget

Trevor threw away his last tissue. “Thanks. I feel better. Of course I’m worth more than sparrows!”

Jesse said, “I know that God will replace your worry with His peace!”

“You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You.” Isaiah 26:3.

J.D. Griffith

If God sees the sparrow’s fall,
Paints the lilies short and tall,
Gives the skies their azure hue,
Will He not care for you
?

Anonymous
Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for Watching Over Me
A personal, private lesson experience with our staff

No comments: