Monday, November 10, 2008

Peace II of II

PEACE II of II
AT ANY COST?
Romans 12:17-19
Vs. 18: “If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”

Brad invited Scotty to lunch, “Come eat with Jeremy and me today.”

“OK, let me tell my guys”, Scotty said.
Between pizza munches, Jeremy began, “How’re things at home, Scotty? Mom, Dad, and Tess alright?”

Scotty nodded and replied, “Yeah, every thing’s cool.”
“You’ve been acting pretty weird lately, Scotty. We wondered if there’s something wrong.” Brad wondered.

“What do you mean?” Scotty said, chewing.
Jeremy launched into what he and Brad had agreed on saying: “Well, you dissed me after I refused your steroids. When I broke my ankle, I heard that you told everyone that’s what happens when guys don’t bulk up on those things.” Jeremy paused.

Scotty shook his head in rebuttal, “No way! I said no such thing!”
Brad leaned in and said, “Yes you did, Scotty. I heard you! Why did you whack my shins with your hockey stick yesterday?”
“That? Well, sorry, but it was a clean play. If we’d been on the rink, you’d have been eating ice chips.”
“Scotty, you know that was a foul! You should have sat down in the penalty box!” Brad argued.
“No referee, no foul” Scotty insisted, his voice raising an octave.

Jeremy interjected, “Guys, let’s calm down.”
“What else are you going to accuse me of?” Scotty demanded, his face red. “Come on, let me have it.”
“I know it must have been hard when Coach Jiles made you leave the football team, Scotty.” Jeremy said softly. “We aren’t ganging up on you; we care for you and hope you’ll stop this lying and cheating.”

“Yeah, we’ve been buds since Kindergarten.” Brad said. “If we can’t talk to you to find out what’s eating you, who can?”
Scotty threw down his napkin and glared at his friends. “It is true we’ve known each other ever since Kindergarten. But, I swear to G_D that things are cool!”

“There’s no need to swear to G_D, Scotty” Jeremy said, laying a hand on Scotty’s arm.
“Yes there is! I don’t deserve this!” Scotty roared, shrugging Jeremy’s hand away. “You ARE ganging up on me! I don’t want to be your friend anymore.” He stomped out of the lunchroom.

Take Home Nugget
Scotty’s getting defensive over his friends’ concern breached their relationship. He was the one who dissolved their friendship. Sometimes believers cannot maintain peace with people who continue sinful actions. We’re to try making peace with others, but not at any cost. Remember Vs 19: “Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. For it is written: It is mine to avenge: I will repay.”


If two people witness a wrong, they are to talk to that person. (1Timothy 5:19). When possible, they’re to attempt a peaceful resolution to all disagreements. Their just and sincere actions will be sufficient to give them rest. The battle, and any vengeance belongs to the Lord.


J.D. Griffith


Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for Peace II of II
A personal, private lesson experience with our staff


Written for http://www.biblestudyforkids.com/
For FREE Online Bible Study Resources click here.

No comments: