Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Growing Faith Part 15 of 16

GROWING FAITH Part 15 of 16
COMBAT
1 Corinthians 15: 57-58, Ephesians 6:12, 1 John 6:12
Vs 57-58: “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor is not in vain.”

Jeremy leaned his crutches against the locker door as he pulled out books. He turned towards the classroom, and tucked the crutches under his arms. His books spilled out toppling to the floor. Losing his balance, he fell into a heap next to the lockers. Jeremy thought, “The devil’s attacks are personal!”

Julie ran up to him screeching, “Jeremy! Let me help you.” She tried tugging him to his feet while the guys laughed out loud.

Big Bruce leaned down and said, “Here, Jeremy, let me help” pulling him to his feet. Julie gathered his books.

Scotty, laughing hysterically, yelled, “Need help walking, dude?” Jeremy fell down again.

Darn! This is too hard to do when distracted! Jeremy flinched as Bruce helped him up a second time.

Mrs. Deturk came outside the classroom to see what the commotion was about. She said, “Jeremy, pile your books into your backpack and come inside.” She looked around. Scowling she said, “Julie, please help Jeremy carry what he needs. Bruce, stand by to help him.”

Jeremy thought, I’m the laughing stock of the fifth grade! How can I stand firm? I can hardly stand at all!

His grimace lasted throughout the day. I shouldn’t need help! I’m powerless!

When the end-of-day bell rang, Mrs.Deturk dismissed the class. Jeremy’s frown changed to a smile. Here’s where I can be useful! He gimped to the bench and sat down, watching the team’s calisthenics. When the second team came to the bench as the first team practiced plays for Saturday’s game Jeremy said, “Hey Mark, you’re sure getting strong! Jake, it looks like your pushups are getting easier, too.” Both Mark and Jake turned away. Jeremy thought, Am I invisible?

Jeremy’s Dad arrived to bring him home. Studying his son’s wretched expression when Jeremy approached the car, he jumped out and ran to him. “Hi son. Long day, huh?” he said, opening the car door.

Jeremy threw his backpack inside and handed his crutches to his Dad, silent.

His Dad jumped into the driver’s seat. He turned to his son, who faced outside the side window, tears streaming down his face.

His Dad said, “That bad? Don’t be ashamed, son. The devil’s plans are well organized! He enjoys your pain, and laughs at your distress. Remember what Pastor Ron said and stand firm. Jesus won’t let you fail.”

Jeremy wiped his sleeve across his face and sniffed. Turning to his Father he said, “It was awful Dad! I fell twice, books spilling across the floor. Girls giggled, and some boys laughed at me lying on the ground. Julie tried helping me up but she couldn’t. Twice, big Bruce lifted me to my feet. The guys at practice ignored me. I tried, Dad, I really tried, but this is too hard!”

Jeremy’s Dad threw his arm around his son’s shoulders and pulled him close. He said softly, “I think you did well today—against rulers and the powers of darkness. Now it’s time to go home, eat dinner, relax, and retire to your sanctuary. Remember, He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. You’re my son, and I’m proud of my soldier.”

Take Home Nugget
Standing firm is not passive, but active. Abraham Lincoln said, “Be sure your feet are at the right place, and stand firm.”

Life’s too hard, God, too hard!

He whispers, “stand firm and remain on guard.”
I will never leave you.
You are cherished, held in high regard.


J.D. Griffith

Click here for an Interactive-Online-Lesson for Growing Faith 15 of 16
A personal, private lesson experience with our staff

No comments: