Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Keep the Light On

KEEP THE LIGHT ON
Micah 7:8: “Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light.”

After watching a scary movie as a little girl, I suddenly became afraid of the dark. I switched on the light going up the stairs. I switched on my bedroom light. I switched on the bathroom light. I dressed quickly in my pajamas. Then I turned off the bathroom light while running into my bedroom. Breathing a sigh of relief, I stood at my bedroom light and counted to three. Turning it off, I scampered into my bed, throwing the covers on top of my head. Safe—for one more night. I learned as an adult that I was so silly…there is no need to be scared of the dark.

Our heavenly father, the creator of the universe says: “He wraps Himself in light as with a garment” (Psalm 104:2). And, “When I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light unto me.” And my personal favorite: “The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it” (John 1:5). Jesus, himself said, “I am come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in Me should stay in darkness.” (John 12:46).

In reality, darkness seems to swallow us, doesn’t it? Without being able to see what’s lurking, the devil whispers lies that we’re in danger. Nothing could be further from the truth! Psalm 91:11 says, “For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” Hebrews 1:14 declares that angles are ministering spirits who serve all who will inherit salvation.
So there, devil!
Take Home Nugget

That’s pretty heavy stuff. The creator of the universe made light—do you think God was ever scared of the darkness? He IS our light. He folds you into His arms in protection, and stretches Himself over you while you sleep. Wherever you are in the dark, God is beside you with His light. He is your flashlight: going in front of you and coming from behind. The darkness doesn’t understand that it will not win. We belong to the Lord! He came to extinguish darkness. Hallelujah!

So, next time you’re afraid of the dark, praise God, sing a song, feel His presence beside you. You, as one of His chosen followers, are never in the dark.
J. D. Griffith

No comments: